Introduction to Portrait Photography Lighting Workshop
Class Fee - $250
This 6 hour workshop will provide attendees with a basic understanding of portrait photography lighting in a studio setting and on location. The course will be taught in 3 phases covering the following topics:
Phase I: 10am - 12pm
• Types of lighting equipment and technical operation.
• Light quality and the use of various light modifiers including umbrellas, soft boxes, reflectors and beauty dishes.
• Portrait lighting setups including Rembrandt, Loop, Split, Broad, Butterfly and Backlighting.
• Understanding of color temperature and balancing with respect to artificial vs ambient lighting.
Phase II: 1pm - 3pm
• Attendees will work with models in the MUSE studio to capture portraits with a select number of lighting arrangements and modifiers.
Phase III: 3:30pm - 5:30pm
• Attendees will work with models at a predetermined outside location to capture portraits with strobe lighting and beauty dishes.
Requirements and Considerations:
• Attendees are required to bring a DSLR/Mirrorless detachable lens camera and have a basic understanding of its operation. An understanding of the fundamentals of exposure is necessary to get the most out of this workshop.
• A lunch break is scheduled between 12pm - 1pm. Attendees may bring lunch or walk to a number nearby eateries. MUSE maintains a kitchenette and refrigerator, but space is limited. There will be a break from 3pm - 3:30pm to travel and prepare for Phase III.
• Comfortable shoes are recommended as the class will be walking to various locations including the beach for Phase III.